Skip navigation
 

St Clement

Treadgold Street
London
W11 4BP

History

St Clement’s Church was consecrated in 1867. It was founded by the Revd Arthur Dalgarno with his own funds, who worked without pay for many years. The church is in Notting Dale, near to Ladbroke Grove.

The community spirit of its original foundation is apparent today in the work of The ClementJames Centre. This sister organization to the church runs IntoUniversity North Kensington, an adult literacy programme Communicate, IntoWork, and a cross-programme Community Hub which focusses on literary, numeracy and mental health support. Emerging from a colourful and inclusive anglo-catholic liturgical tradition that continues to this day, the Centre is an innovative expression of the social gospel.

The Centre subsequently paved the way to IntoUniversity, dedicated to enabling young people from deprived backgrounds to achieve their potential. IntoUniversity’s head office is also based at the church site.

Each summer, the church is transformed by the Notting Hill Carnival project, as young people create costumes for the new annual theme. After the Carnival Mass at 10.00 am on August Bank Holiday Sunday, young people and adults take to the road with a double-decker bus.

An altarpiece by Mark Cazalet celebrates the Carnival as an outpouring of the creativity of God.

A more detailed history of St Clement’s church was written by Donna McDonald in 2016, after the church was re-roofed, along with extensive high level and drainage repairs, and the interior of the church was completely re-painted. Many thanks to our funders, who are mentioned in her article.

Location